You may have heard your dentist reference dental implants, or maybe you saw them listed somewhere in your insurance plan; but what are they? Well, dental implants are exactly what they sound like. They are replacement teeth inserted into your mouth surgically for cosmetic or functional purposes.
Dental implants are artificial roots for your teeth. They look like screws and they bond with your jaw bone to provide a strong foundation. They are the base for artificial or replacement teeth called crowns. These crowns can be permanent (fixed) or removable that are custom matched to your natural teeth. Implants are also a very safe procedure and are very strong.
Those who experience tooth loss get replacement teeth for a variety of reasons. Dental implants are a great choice, and people choose to get them to:
1. Improve appearance and get a confidence boost. Dental implants are made to look like natural teeth, and they help fill in the gaps in your smile. When you feel better about your smile, you feel more confident.
2. Improve speech. Replacement teeth like dentures can move in your mouth when you try to talk, so it can make your speech harder to understand. Implants don’t move around in your mouth and make it easier to talk.
3. Make eating easier. Dentures can move around in your mouth when your are trying to eat making chewing difficult. Dental implants are embedded in your mouth so they don’t move and make eating more natural.
4. Better dental health. Dental implants are modeled to fit in with your natural teeth, so they don’t require your teeth to be reduced in order to fit. They’re also easier to clean between, so it’s easier to have better dental health.
5. Get convenient, long-lasting teeth. Dental implants are long-lasting, especially with good care, and can even last a lifetime. They’re also much more convenient to care for than dentures, because you don’t have to worry about adhesives or removing them after use.